nanog mailing list archives

Re: large organization nameservers sending icmp packets to dns servers.

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:54:02 -0700

On Aug 10, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

On the other hand, potentially larger messages may offer the necessary
motivation for adding ACLs on recursive DNS, and deploying BCP 38.

i surely do hope so. we need those ACLs and we need that deployment, and if message size and TCP fallback is a motivator, then let's turn UP the volume.

There are so many more larger and immediate reasons for doing these things that I seriously doubt message size and TCP fallback on the DNS will have any impact at all in terms of motivating the non- motivated.

But, one can always hope.

;>

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> // 408.527.6376 voice

        Culture eats strategy for breakfast.

           -- Ford Motor Company