nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP Block 99/8 (DHS insanity - offtopic)

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 03:51:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Thus spake <bmanning () karoshi com>
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 05:23:03PM -0400, Sandy Murphy wrote:
You might try taking a look at the various presentations at
NANOG/RIPE/ARIN/APNIC/APRICOT about the whole idea.
Central point: the entity that gives you a suballocation of its
own address space signs something that says you now hold it.

No governments involved.

no problemo...  when i hand out a block of space, i'll expect
my clients to hand me a DS record ...  then I sign the DS.
and I'll hand a DS to my parent, which they sign.
That works a treat.... today (if you run current code)
and gives you exactly what you describe above.

That roughly matches what I expect, but the process seems backwards.  If
IANA hands, say, 99/8 to ARIN, I'd expect that to come with a certificate
saying so.  Then, if ARIN hands 99.1/16 to an ISP, they'd hand a certificate
saying so to the ISP, which could be linked somehow to ARIN's authority to
issue certificates under 99/8.  And so on down the line.  Then, when the
final holder advertises their 99.1.1/24 route via BGP, receivers would check
that it was signed by a certificate that had a verifiable path all the way
back to IANA.

Of course, one must be prepared to accept unsigned routes since they'll be
the majority for a long time, which means you still run afoul of the
longest-match rule.  If someone has a signed route for 99.1/16, and someone

keep in mind that the first step didn't include any real 'routing
protocol' hooks as I recall, but some automation help and OSS/ops help to
look over a long list of prefixes in a better manner. With some assurance
that the allocations/assignments were all proper... (and that hopefully
the customer was really the person authorized to use the ip space)

else has unsigned routes for one or more (or all) of 99.1.0/24 through
99.1.255/24, what do you do?  Do you block an unsigned route from entering
the FIB if there's a signed aggregate present?  Doesn't that break common

that sounds like sBGP/SoBGP ... of those the (last I saw) soBGP route of
using the certification information as a policy knob seemed the most
reasonable.