nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP Block 99/8 (DHS insanity - offtopic)

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:05:13 -0400

On Apr 23, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Mike Tancsa wrote:
At 04:52 PM 4/23/2007, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

I do not want any particular gov't (US or otherwise) to be "in
charge" of the Internet any more than the next person.  And good
thing too, because it simply cannot happen, political pipe-dreams not
withstanding.

But what has that got to do with the DHS promoting an idea to sign IP
space allocations and/or annoucements?  The idea in-and-of-itself
doesn't sound wholly unreasonable.  (I am not advocating this, just
saying the idea shouldn't be rejected without consideration simply
because the DHS said it.)

The question is who would do the signing and revocations. Whoever does that would indeed have a great amount of control over the internet. A single government agency should not have that sort of power to make a (for lack of better term), "no surf list" of IP space...

Which is fine.

Besides, no gov't _can_ have the single authority. You can always ignore what other people sign or do not sign.

That said, I completely agree the DHS shouldn't have even the modicum of power holding the keys would give it.

--
TTFN,
patrick