nanog mailing list archives

Re: tech support being flooded due to IE 0day

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 04:32:41 +0000

Does it impact the network operation?
Eg, does it adversely affect the network? (say, like Beagle did.)

      I was thinking sql-slammer, massive flood causing signifcant
amount of network infrastructure to go down.  (people on low speed links
with large blocks of address space were DoS'ed off the network).

      I don't think of drive-by browser/desktop infection as a networking
issue, more of an end-host issue.

      - Jared

        so, how many netops folks use or are forced to use IE
        in the mgmt of their particular sector of an IP network?
        netops being deaf/blind; "... the MRTG/Cricket graphs are
        not visable...  does that mean nothing is happening?..."
        might be considered operationaly significant.  Or not..
        YMMV...

--bill