nanog mailing list archives

Shim6 vs PI addressing

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:05:17 -0800 (PST)

--- Joe Abley <jabley () isc org> wrote:

On 1-Mar-2006, at 11:22, David Barak wrote:
As far as I can tell, the whole reason for these
discussions is the insistence on the strict
PA-addressing model, with no ability to advertise
PA
space to other providers.

The whole reason for the strict PA-addressing model
is concern over
whether open-slather on PI address space will result
in an Internet
that will scale.

Is it easier to scale N routers, or scale 10000*N
hosts?  If we simply moved to an "everyone with an ASN
gets a /32" model, we'd have about 30,000 /32s.  It
would be a really long time before we had as many
routes in the table as we do today, let alone the
umpteen-bazillion routes which scare everyone so
badly.

Joe

(Failing miserably to keep quiet. Must try harder.)

(don't worry - you have content in these posts.
content is always welcome...)

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com