nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP failover/migration question.

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 04:57:56 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Andrew Warfield wrote:

I think there is some cisco magic you could do with 'dial backup'... you
may even be able to rig this up with an ibgp session (even if that goes
out over the external provider) to swing the routes.

NOTE: this could make your site oscillate if there are connectivity issues
between the sites, it could get messy FAST, and it could be hard to
troubleshoot. Basically look before you leap :)

This link may b e of assistance:
http://tinyurl.com/l8zpm

This link asks me for a login...

aw crap, sorry... try:

http://tinyurl.com/zh7wk

(12.0 code reference infos)

to get greed into it.. are you sure you want to be 'stuck' with a single
carrier? :) What if the carrier dies wouldn't you want redundant carrier
links as well?

I'd love a multi-ISP solution.  I just assumed that anything involving
more than a single upstream AS across the two links would leave me
having to consider BGP convergence instead of just IGP reconfig.  I

both are bgp convergence actually, unless the routes are put from BGP ->
IGP inside the single provider, which is a little scary.

Consider that loctions A and B exist. A is primary, B secondary. B's
routes don't exist in ISP's network. A explodes, the network above A has
to withdraw the routes, the network above B (it's not the same POP nor
POP router right?) has to get new routes from B then send them out.

You'll gain SOME possibly, but that probably depends on the bgp/ibgp
architecture inside the ISP in question :(

didn't presume that that would likely be something that happened in
seconds.  If there's a fast approach to be had here, I'd love to hear
it.

get with the greed man! :)