nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Backhoe: A Real Cyberthreat?

From: sgorman1 () gmu edu
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:28:54 -0500

Agree that a level of security is required, but the real value is in customers like banks knowing where their fiber is,
so when they lease service for a back up provider they know it is not in the same ditch.

The article attribute the pro regulation quote to me, but actually it was out of context.  I was proposing that you
need an anonymous secure data pool that cusomers could qery to see what providers for a set of buildings are diverse.
The mathematics to do the diversity optimization are available just an issue of data.