nanog mailing list archives

Re: Transit LAN vs. Individual LANs

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:33:51 -1000

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>

Thus spake "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
ITYM two big transit LANs -- one must be prepared for a
switch to fail.

These're going to be router-to-router connections (each
AR is connected to both CRs) and I had thought about
tying them all into one VLAN vs. PTP Gig-E.  I was just
trying to find out the operational benefits of either
design.

If your physical topology is going to be PTP links, then
you should go with  PTP at the logical level as well.
Making one topology look like another is  generally a bad
idea.

This is what I decided to do.

Thanks everyone, your ideas (and those of a good friend)
helped me to find the KISS solution. :-)

scott