nanog mailing list archives

Re: Detecting parked domains

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 17:03:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Florian Weimer wrote:
Has anyone come up with a quick method for detecting if a domain
name is parked, but is not being used except displaying ads?

AFAICT, the main challenge is to define what "parked" means in the
context of your application.

There seems to be DNSBL's for every other thing, I was expecting to find
one for parked domain names or the server IP addresses used.

This was for personal interest, rather than a commercial opportunity.  I'm
a lousy typist and its unlikely change. But I can write computer
applications.  I'd rather get a message my application can process
rather than relying on a human.

My preference is "legitimate" domain parking firms included a
standardized piece of meta-data my application could detect and use
as "this domain doesn't really exist." Sorta of a variant of the
web robots.txt file, but I prefer it to be application independent,
instead of assuming everything is HTTP Port 80.  Perhaps start with a
standard record associated with the parked domain, i.e.
_notexist.example.com.

For less legitimate domain parking (i.e. typo-squatters), its a different
problem.