nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spam filtering bcps

From: Andy Smith <andy () strugglers net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:38:41 +0000

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 03:35:51PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:28:59 CDT, Bryan Bradsby said:

Silently deleting other people's e-mail should never even be considered.

Unless that email is a virus, or a spam with a forged envelope sender.

No, in that case you 550 the sucker.

Unfortunately there is plenty of mailing list manager software that
will disable your subscription if your mail is rejected enough
times.  Mailman being a good example.  I have been unsubbed from
mailman lists that have allowed viruses through, even with the
default mailman settings for boucne processing.

In a perfect world, no mailing lists distribute spam, viruses and
malware.

At the moment therefore while practicing reject after DATA I do find
it necessary to mark as spam and accept if it has Precedence: bulk
(or list or whatever), because otherwise my users complain and
"don't subscribe to poorly-managed lists then" is not an acceptable
answer for them.

Regards,
Andy