nanog mailing list archives

Re: Weird DNS issues for domains

From: John Dupuy <jdupuy-list () socket net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:20:17 -0500

If you are talking about strictly http, then you are probably right. If you are hosting any email, then this isn't the case. A live DNS but dead mail server will cause your mail to queue up for a later resend on the originating mail servers. A dead DNS will cause the mail to bounce as undeliverable. (Oh, and if any of your subs are on mailing lists, they will be unsubscribed en masse. A nice way to challenge your call center...)

John