nanog mailing list archives

Re: image stream routers

From: "Paul G" <paul () rusko us>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:11:16 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "tony sarendal" <dualcyclone () gmail com>
To: <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: image stream routers

--- snip ---

It sounds to me like a software based machine can
be plenty fast with good code under the hood.

In my experience a datacenter pumping out 1Gbps is usually doing
200-250kpps in that direction. Considering this a box capable of
around 1Mpps is "plenty fast".

... until you get an inbound ddos over that shiny gige at 1.44 Mpps. in
today's world, planning for normal circumstances is woefully insufficient,
you have to spec based on worst case numbers because you're almost
guaranteed they will hit your network upside the head in the future.

-p

---
paul galynin