nanog mailing list archives

Re: Katrina Network Damage Report

From: Scott A Crosby <scrosby () cs rice edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 04:20:04 -0500

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:47:00 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com> writes:

On 12-sep-2005, at 2:47, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

Amazingly enough, the *single* biggest problem in trying to get Joe
Sixpack to secure their systems is "But I don't have anything
they'd be interested in..."

Security isn't an end in itself. For instance, I don't care enough
about people using up my paper and ink to secure my print server
against remote printing.

When the number of open print servers exceeds a threshold, I predict
that 'innovative marketers' will start using zombied toasters to send
advertisements to all open print servers they can find.

And at that point, security matters very much.

Scott