nanog mailing list archives

Re: And Now for Something Completely Different (was Re: IPv6 news)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:20:51 -0400

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:55:38 EDT, Joe Abley said:

Thought experiment: how many different software vendors need to
change their shipping IPv6 code in order for some new feature like
shim6 to be 80% deployed in the server and client communities of hosts?

I'm thinking it's probably less than 5, but I'd be interested to hear
opinions to the contrary.

Client end, if Microsoft, MacOS X, and the various Linuxoids shipped, you'd have
pretty good coverage.  Maybe Solaris 11 if they're still relevant by then.  A
few vendor Unixoids (AIX, Irix, etc), and proprietary systems (z/OS), but those
vendors will either read the writing on the wall or fade away...

Router end, probably same number - Cisco, Juniper, Linksys and a few other
SOHO-class vendors, plus a few I've overlooked.

The number is certainly more than 5, very likely close to 1 dozen, unlikely to
be more than 2 dozen.

Of course, even if everybody shipped a *working* *interoperable* product today
(quit giggling - we're being hypothetical here), you'd still have a 3-5 year
timeframe before all the stuff sold yesterday and years previous got upgraded
or replaced.