nanog mailing list archives

Re: shim6 (was Re: IPv6 news)

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 19:27:37 +0000

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 03:19:27PM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:

On Oct 14, 2005, at 7:57 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

Since shim6 requires changes in protocol stacks on nodes, my
impression has been that it isn't a _site_ multihoming solution,
but rather a _node_ multihoming solution.  Is my impression incorrect?

There is no shortage of rough corners to file down, and I am behind
on my shim6 mail, but the general idea is to let end sites multi-home
in the "bag-o-PA-prefixes" style and let the nodes within that site
use their multiple globally-unique addresses (one per upstream, say)
to allow sessions to survive rehoming events.

        the kicker here is that the applications then need some
        serious smarts to do proper source address selection.

I suspect will be required is real _site_ multihoming.  Something
that will take existing v6 customer sites and allow them to be
multi-homed without modification to each and every v6 stack within
the site.

For end sites, that's a wildly-held opinion.

        wildly or widely?  :)

Joe

--bill