nanog mailing list archives

Re: the iab simplifies internet architecture!

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:39:22 +0000

Ops folks need to participate in the IETF.
because they want to sell what?  clue?  seems unmarketable.

So that they can affect the protocols that are going to be implemented
at a stage where they can still be modified to suit their needs,
scenarios, requirements, etc.

Options for changing the protocols are somewhat more limited (though
not zero) when the specs and code (those that don't address the needs
of a particular set of operators as-is, in any case) have already
shipped.

        i think ops folks have leverage in slightly different ways.
        for commondity products, i expect you are right. for high end
        products, i have found that when i ask a vendor for certain features,
        and am willing to give them money, they tend to treat those feaure
        requests with favor.  features may or may not be reflected as IETF
        or other SDO based specifications.  in fact, recent events lead me
        to believe that marketing groups from vendors, having done some
        market/customer research, are presuring the engineeering groups to
        push certain specs in the IETF.  To have the actual customers show
        up at the IETF and attempt to influence the specs directly will
        put the engineering folks in a bind. ...  believe the customer or
        the marketing department? if a vendor ships code that does not meet
        my needs or is harmful to my operations,  i will either dump the
        vendor or encourage them to build to my needs, regardless of the IETF.

--bill