nanog mailing list archives

Re: a record?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:23:09 -0500

In message <43791C64.4050500 () linuxbox org>, Gadi Evron writes:

You don't have to scan an entire /64 ( :) ).

You can sniff network traffic and see what IP addresses you see, then
scan only close ranges to those.
You can create a DB or download one, with addresses of known used spaces.

You can throw out thousands of random packets, finding used spaces.

You can do a lot of things, some smarter and mathematical, others just
sensible. If I could come up with 3 silly solutions in 2 seconds, I bet
the Bad Guys will do far better when the time comes, if it ever does. I
am of a mind that we need IPv-NEXT-ONE (or whatever) to deal with actual
problems before we undertake IPv6, but that's just an opinion and
therefore completely wrong.

Yes.  Angelos Keromytis, Bill Cheswick, and I have a paper on this that
will be out shortly.