nanog mailing list archives

Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 12:22:21 -0400

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 03:13:06PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
Your statement that their price point is lower is absurd.  It costs money
to put filters in place.  It doesn't cost money to not filter, except to
the extent that irresponsible actions which filtration would prevent are
not blocked.  Therefore, any increased costs in unfiltered connections
are the direct result of irresponsible use.  Absent irresponsible use,
unfiltered connections will, by definition, cost less.

In this context, Owen, why isn't that a circular argument?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me