nanog mailing list archives

Re: Stanford Hack Exposes 10,000

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:10:27 -0400

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 11:10:08AM +0100, Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:
Around about whenever the US Federal Government gets the hint and
passes a bill which makes it illegal to use social security numbers
for any purpose other than the administration of social security.

Wrong answer. Federal laws do not stop people from doing stupid
things and they do not stop people from doing illegal things.

What we need is a Hollywood blockbuster in which some highschool
hackers wreak havoc by aquiring SSNs from gradesheets and using
  /////// criminals
mother's maiden names to steal lots of money and identities.
Then, pointy-haired bosses will ask their sysadmins to make sure
that it can't happen in their department.

Hollywood movies change people's behavior. Federal laws do not.

"Mr President, did you see that movie about an Ebola outbreak in the US
a couple of years ago?"

"Yes...?"

"The budget for that movie was quite a bit more then the total annual
funding in the US to study Ebola and related viruses."

Cheers,
-- jr '</OT>' a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me