nanog mailing list archives

Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors

From: John Osmon <josmon () rigozsaurus com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:19:40 -0700

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:05:44PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
[...]
      I think one of the major problems is that very few people know
how to, or are capable of sending larger g711 frames (at increased
delay, but more data per packet) because they can't set these more granular
settings on their systems.. this means you have a lot higher pps
rates which I think is the problem with the radio gear, it's just not
designed for high pps rates..

So, how are the WISP folk dealing with VOIP traffic as it becomes a
larger piece of their customer's traffic?  Does anyone have a way
to force a given VOIP endpoint to use larger data frames?  Or are
the WISPs forced to deal with with a shredded business plan because
their gear is optimized for large packets?  (Or am I simply
missing something?)

Or do you write a TOS that says: "Customer is not allowed to send and
receive lots of small packets quickly?"  :-)