nanog mailing list archives

RE: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors

From: "Howard, W. Lee" <L.Howard () stanleyassociates com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:30:36 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Robert Bonomi
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 7:05 AM
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors

Dunno where you got the 'more than 2 subscribers' bit as
defining over- subscribed.  Unless you
mis-read/mis-interpreted my remark about "50%
utilization" for VoIP data.   Active VoIP transmission is
about 80kbps.

Depends on the codec.  Yes, most people default to G.711, but
my experience with G.729 and header compression has been good,
and closer to 12Kbps.

I definitely agree that it's much more symmetrical than web
traffic, and could therefore mess with someone's capacity
planning.  Denying traffic that doesn't conform to your engineering
is one response.  Re-engineering is another.  Do what you will
with your network, I know what I'd do with mine.

Lee