nanog mailing list archives

Re: T1 vs. T2 [WAS: Apology: [Tier-2 reachability and multihoming]]

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:23:17 -0500

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:17:21 +0100, "Stephen J. Wilcox" said:
however alex, you do highlight an excellent point - things are not as simple as
'tier1, tier2', there are complicated routing and financial arrangements in
operation, which brings me back to my earlier point: does it matter what a
network is paying for some connectivity providing they deliver to you the
connectivity you need at the quality you desire?

As long as their price point for their connectivity is set such that they
can remain a viable ongoing business concern while fulfilling the requirements
of my contract, it doesn't really matter, except at contract renegotiation time.
At that point, if I know they're making money off selling others transit to
my packets, I may try to negotiate a price concession....