nanog mailing list archives

Re: T1 vs. T2 [WAS: Apology: [Tier-2 reachability and multihoming]]

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:46:28 +0000

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:15:53PM -0500, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:

On Mar 28, 2005, at 8:29 PM, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

and if you peer with all networks in the 'transit free zone' then you
too become
transit free also.

    er.. hate to rain on your parade but if I peer with everyone
    i need/want to exchange traffic with, i am transit-free, even
    if I -NEVER- touch any other part of the commercial Internet...
    my packets get to where they need to go and all packets I want
    get to me.  my life is good ... even if I only appear as vestigal
    to the commercial Internet, if I appear at all.

Absolutely correct.

    how would you classify such a network?  T1, T2, ODDBALL-0,
    non-Internet-265, ???

I doubt it is a tier.  I am certain it is not an "Internet" network if
it does not have connectivity to substantially all other Internet
networks.

        begs the definition of "internet networks" ...
        It has IP connectivity to the other IP networks of interest.
        For networks that are not of interest, there is no expressly
        defined connectivity.  The term Internet has devolved into
        a series of interconnected -COMMERCIAL- networks and from that
        viewpoint, anyone on a non-commercial network, that has no desire
        to be connected to a commercial network, is relegated, BY THE
        COMMERCIAL OPERATORS, to "intranet" status.  The historical
        term  - INTERNET - reflected a catanet of networks that used IP
        for packet delivery.  with the inclusion of robust policy expression
        on network "edges" - full, global, end2end reachability truely
        became a myth ...  and the term Internet became based on a
        shifting foundation.  So from a commercial networking perspective,
        yes, my network is vestigal.  But it is transit-free and has
        full connectivity to all of the parties it wants/needs to talk to.
        So by that definition (e.g. transit-free) its a Tier-1.
        Sort of points out some of the weaknesses in terminology and
        the biases in a single viewpoint.

        as usual, YMMV.

--bill

TTFN,