nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS cache poisoning attacks -- are they real?

From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () chrisbrenton org>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 06:44:59 -0500

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 01:04, John Payne wrote:

And to Randy's point about problems with open recursive nameservers...
abusers have been known to cache "hijack".  Register a domain,
configure an authority with very large TTLs, seed it onto known open
recursive nameservers, update domain record to point to the open
recursive servers rather than their own.  Wammo, "bullet proof" dns
hosting.

I posted a note to Bugtraq on this process about a year and a half ago
as at the time I noticed a few spammers using this technique. Seems they
were doing this to protect their NS from retaliatory attacks.
http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/bugtraq/2003/09/msg00164.html

Large TTLs only get you so far. All depends on the default setting of
max-cache-ttl. For Bind this is 7 days. MS DNS is 24 hours. Obviously
spammers can do a lot of damage in 7 days. :(

HTH,
Chris