nanog mailing list archives

Re: Obsolete bogon filtering

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:01:12 -0500

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 10:36:28AM +0000, Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:
2. People would have a list of sites that were known to be of less
clue than most. This might help them make purchasing decisions in the
future.

Are you suggesting that NANOG should publish a set
of operational best practices and then only offer
the NANOG seal of approval to companies which adhere
to those best practices?

The Good Netkeeping Seal of Approval, yes.

If there is one thing that will stop telecoms regulators
from attempting to regulate the Internet, it is this.
The technical term is "industry self regulation".

And it would have the side effect of assembling all of those best
practices in a central place where those occasaional operators of
really small networks (like me :-) who care what they are can
conveniently find them.

I'd recommend a wiki.  Running MediaWiki.

But then, I recommend that for all centralized knowledge capture
situations.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me