nanog mailing list archives

Re: US slaps fine on company blocking VoIP

From: Nathan Allen Stratton <nathan () robotics net>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:12:31 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 trainier () kalsec com wrote:

Seems to me that said company "BroadVoice?" was attempting to prevent the
use of VoIP in an effort to prevent competition
with it's current phone customers.  It's kind of a tough issue to deal
with, if you think about it.

Hold, BroadVoice is a VoIP service provider I work for, I was just saying
I am speaking as Nathan, not as BroadVoice.

There are two sides to the issue:

1.)  FCC doesn't want companies preventing other companies from competing.
2.)  On the other hand, how do you tell a company what services it can or
can't block?

The fact is, the company was preventing it's users from using technology
offered by said company's competitors.

No, they are just preventing companies that are using port X, most
providers have figured out how to make VoIP work on any port.

-Nathan