nanog mailing list archives

Re: vonage routing issues

From: Rachael Treu <rara () navigo com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:35:06 -0600

..snip snip..
On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 03:17:11PM -0500, Jon Lewis said something to the effect of:
I got interrupted typing this, and I see that in the past 40 minutes
routing has changed...now it ends with

13. 0.so-5-0-0.XL1.NYC9.ALTER.NET          0%    4    4    42   41   42     42
14. 0.so-0-0-0.XR1.NYC9.ALTER.NET          0%    3    3    42   42   42     42
15. 181.ATM7-0.GW4.NYC9.ALTER.NET          0%    3    3    42   41   41     42
16. ???

fwiw...I'm trying the same trace from nodes within CoreNAP and pnap spaces
and am seeing the same thing.

However, my Vonage at home has functioned without interruption, as far as
I am able to tell.  I suppose I may have covens of angry family members who
have been trying unsuccessfully to call me with thrilling tales of gall stones
and lazy boyfriends, but I have heard nothing to suggest that is the case.

Then again, my personal delivery of Vonage seems to include the nifty
"Surprise!  Half-duplex!" feature that leaves me suddenly able to hear the
other party without the other party being able to hear me (this,
coincidentally, throws a big wrench into mitigating the aforementioned family
fun calls), and that has been on the rise this week.

ymmv,
--ra

--
k. rachael treu, CISSP  rara () navigo com
..quis custodiet ipsos custodes?..

and I get "The document contains no data" from www.vonage.com.  Earlier it
was painfully slow, but would eventually mostly load.

Anyone know what's going on or where the problem is?

I'm starting to wonder if Vonage's "your blocking us" news stories have
just been coverup for network stability/capacity issues.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |