nanog mailing list archives

Re: Paper on Email Authentication (Authorization really) (was - Re: Micorsoft's Sender ID Authentication......?)

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:45:39 -0700

On 06/13/05, "william(at)elan.net" <william () elan net> wrote:

In part 5, I also go through why none of the proposals are really
"anti-spam" and promotion of the methods as such is misleading.

        No matter how the authors may "promote" their methods, most
        people don't perceive that there's any great separation between
        anti-spam and anti-forgery techniques.  As far as they're
        concerned, all e-mail threats are basically the same.

        E-mail authentication's promise is that it will improve the
        overall state of the global e-mail infrastructure.  Chopping
        that into smaller bits may be a fun intellectual exercise, but
        it doesn't help explain what's going on to anyone outside of
        our fairly small technology-focused circles.

--
J.D. Falk                                              blong! you are a pickle!
<jdfalk () cybernothing org>