nanog mailing list archives

Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

From: Phillip Vandry <vandry () TZoNE ORG>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:08:43 -0400

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:35:37PM -0400, David Andersen wrote:
samples to squeeze into a low bandwidth channel.  Enter IP header
compression, which is shockingly effective at compressing IP headers of
all sorts... if you've dedicated 128 bits for the address, and it's
still just as static as it was in IPv4, it'll compress to just the same
amount.  This is an easy technical problem to solve.

IP header compression only works well over a link where you have few
flows (fewer than the number of slots for compression) so my customers
get to save some bandwidth on their access links and I get the
privilege of wasting a lot in the core.

But I certainly take Iljitsch's point: maybe I'm complaining about VoIP,
not about IPv6.

-Phil