nanog mailing list archives

The whole alternate-root ${STATE}horse (was Re: Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?)

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 22:32:52 -0400

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 10:20:13PM -0700, Steve Gibbard wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Mark Andrews wrote:
Do I need to modify our cache server configuration to
enable it?

    Only if you wish to do all your other customers a disfavour
    by configuring your caching servers to support a private
    namespace then yes.

There's no particular technical magic to the ICANN-run roots, except that
it's what just about everybody else is using.  This means that if you
enter the same hostname on two computers far away from each other, you're
probably going to end up at the same place, or at least at places run by
the same organization.  This standardization is valuable, so anybody
trying to make a different standard that isn't widely used compete with it
is going to have a hard time convincing people to switch.

That doesn't mean a competing system wouldn't work, for those who are
using it.  They'd just be limited in who they could talk to, and that
generally wouldn't be very appealing.

Well, Steve; that reply is a *little* disingenuous: all of the
alternative root zones and root server clusters that *I'm* aware of
track the ICANN root, except in the rare instances where there are TLD
collisions.

I'm not aware of any such specific collisions; I stopped tracking that area
when NetSol shutdown that mailing list without warning several years
ago.  I merely observe that they're possible.

A system that would limit my ability to talk to people in other countries
doesn't sound very appealing to me.  On the other hand, the Chinese
government has been trying hard to limit or control communications between
people in China and the rest of the world for years.  In that sense,
maintaining their own DNS root, incompatible with the rest of the world,
might be seen as a considerable advantage.  If they don't care about
breaking compatibility with the DNS root the rest of the world uses, the
disadvantages of such a scheme become fairly moot.

Eric Raymond, that polarizing ambassador for open source, likes to
disseminate the word (and concept) "conflating" -- that being the
habit, or attempt, by an arguer of a point to hook together two related
but distinct concepts that may both be involved in a topic, but may not
have the cause and effect relationship being implied by said arguer.

This is a good example, IMHO: Even if China *did* maintain their own
root, unless they also maintained their own copies of the 2LD's, like
.com, they couldn't snip out *specific* sites they didn't want people
to see.

But the whole "there's a non-ICANN root: the sky is falling" thing is
an argument cooked up to scare the unwashed; us old wallas don't buy
it.  I just hope none of the unwashed *press* decide to blow the lid
off of it; the public's lack of understanding of the underpinnings of
the net is painful enough now...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me