nanog mailing list archives

Re: Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?

From: Tony Finch <dot () dotat at>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:44:50 +0100

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:

They are battling it out in the marketplace and one of the IDN solutions
will evolve to the point where the market considers it clearly superior.
This may be the IETF-blessed solution and it may not. One only has to
browse through the RFC archives to see that RFC status is no guarantee
that something will be widely adopted.

Personally, I think that the Internet is too young and we have too
little experience with multilingual naming to engineer an
Internationalised Domain Naming solution that solves the problem once
and for all. This means that we should be ready for more than one
iteration to get to the solution.

We should be careful to distinguish between i18n and localization. These
private alternative DNS roots are specific to a particular set of users,
so they implement DNS l10n which is not appropriate for a system that is
supposed to be international. Slogan: localization is balkanization.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot () dotat at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR