nanog mailing list archives

Re: fixing insecure email infrastructure (was: Re: [eweek article]

From: Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-nanog () Space Net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:27:03 +0100

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:41:08AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
      Lots.  I'm sure that there are lots of ISPs/IAPs on NANOG
      that do RFC 2317 style delegations for their customers.

How many is lots?
And how often do the IP addresses of (outgoing) Mailservers change within
a subnet? None of ours has changed in the last 10 years and our
customers (mainly business customers) usually never change them, either.

      Every one of them would need to upgrade their servers to
      support DNAME.  Their clients would also need to upgrade
      their servers to support DNAME as they should be stealth
      servers of the parent zone, to allow local lookups to work
      when the external link is down.

If MTAMARK requires DNAME then RFC 2317 style delegations would require
them, too. None of which is true.
                  1  CNAME                   1.0/25.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
works exactly the same way
 _send._smtp._srv.1  CNAME  _send._smtp._srv.1.0/25.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
does. No special magic required. One can even use BINDs $GENERATE
statement for that.
Unless I am missing something I don't know of any RFC that prohibits that.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299