nanog mailing list archives

Re: Proper authentication model

From: Erik Haagsman <erik () we-dare net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:06:48 +0100

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 20:12, Daniel Golding wrote:

The biggest problem I've seen with dial-up OOB is reliability. You really
need you really need to have a good series of testing scripts to ensure that
all the phone lines are working, modems have reset properly, serial ports
are ok, etc. Without this, reliability is low.

Although it's perhaps not as reliable as a series of dedicated cicruits
to connect various locations, I don't consider an ISDN router with it's
Ethernet port connected to a management ethernet port as an unreliable
solution. Modems and TA's perhaps, but a series of 2600's or similar
devices with basic rate interfaces on each location shouldn't be your
biggest worry at the moment you actually need them.

CHeers,

--
---
Erik Haagsman