nanog mailing list archives

[no subject]

From: "J. Oquendo" <sil () politrix org>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:12:48 -0500 (EST)

Re: IPv6, IPSEC and deep packet inspection

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

as one who has been "bit" by this already - i can say amen to
what Rob preacheth...  the hardest part is getting folks up to
speed on IPv6 as a threat vector.  Swat teams that can neutralize
an IPv4 based flareup in minutes/hours can take days/weeks to
contain a v6 channel...

Supposedly the vulns associated with IPv6 are: reconnaissance, unauth'd
access, layers 3-4 spoofing, ARP and DHCP attacks, smurfs, routing
attacks, viruses andworms, translations, transistions, and tunneling
mechanisms. According to Sean Covery's IPv6 Security Threats
(http://www.seanconvery.com/SEC-2003.pdf)

I recall something with OpenBSD and IPv6 not too long ago where MTU was a
factor so I pondered: If someone created a packet generator which spoofed
source to destination using random checksums, etc, but set an MTU too
high, would the recipient drop the connection altogether? For example:

// BEGIN EXAMPLE //

USER -- HOP1 -- HOP2 -- HOP3 -- PAYSITE

USER has an established connection (IPv6 of course) with PAYSITE

ATKR sends enough spoofed packets as USER to PAYSITE with an incremented
checksum he managed to get hold of via a network analyzer, and sets a high
MTU which some router en route to PAYSITE replies to USER with a Type 2

USER gets Type 2's from either HOP1, HOP2, or HOP3

USER never gets through to PAYSITE because of ATKR's cruddy packets

// END EXAMPLE //

Wouldn't PAYSITE disconnect the session with USER. I'm thinking indeed it
would break any session for starters. ATKR could be on the same network
possibly a virus or worm set to capture some preliminary packet
information and shoot it right back upstream keeping any kind of
handshaking/transactions from occurring. I could/would do a proof of
concept but it would be worthless, hopefully those doing the protocols
though of this anyway.

NOW...