nanog mailing list archives

RE: Vonage complains about VoIP-blocking

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:56:42 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
John Fraizer
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:31 PM
To: Samantha Fetter
Cc: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Vonage complains about VoIP-blocking

Samantha Fetter wrote:
Hi, just wanted to let you know that a friend recently got
Vonage, and
they had to go through a special process to get 911
properly associated
with her address so that it would work right.  I'm guessing
that means
they have "REAL 911 access"?  I'm not familiar with that
all, so pardon
my lack of technical terms :

Cheers,
Samantha

If they had to go through a "special" process, then no.  That would
indicate that Vonage still doesn't have PS/ALI, at least in
your friends
market.

That "special" process is Vonage determining the "default"
PSAP in your
area and routing your 911 call to the 7-digit number for that PSAP.
With PS/ALI, Vonage wouldn't be doing the routing.  They
would hand the
call off to the 911 Selective Router which would THEN hand
the call off
to the appropriate PSAP based on a DIG to get your ALI information.

And with the current state of affairs, unless the head end can
determine proper call centers across boundaries (can't), it probably
never will.

For those of you unfamiliar with how E911 works, and specifically,
PS/ALI, take a look at:
http://www.xo.com/products/smallgrowing/voice/local/psali/

Or... Simply google for "PS/ALI".

That's a TDM product.

http://www.e911institute.org/Roundtable%20and%20Tours/June%2024,%202004/VoIP
%20E911%20Issues.pdf

Page 9 offers a better description of the current E911 issues.
It's a software problem. All Vonage does is map your 911 call
at the PSAP to your local EMS.

This is a 6/24 doc. It's slightly outdated.

-M<

John