nanog mailing list archives

Re: {f,i,k}.root-servers.net anycast instances deployed in India

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:51:34 +0530

On 27/08/05, Steve Gibbard <scg () gibbard org> wrote:

If we look at the Asia-Pacific region (for these purposes everything east
of the UAE and West of the Americas), and then exclude Japan, Korea, and
Singapore, countries that are undisputably part of the Internet core, what
we've got are a bunch of F and I Roots, with a K Root in Brisbane and now
a K Root somewhere in India.  Having root servers that are part of three
different anycast clouds would make India somewhat special within its
region.

The crying shame of it all is that most ISPs, for various reasons
[below]  don't advertise all their routes at nixi - and so exchange
piddly little amounts of traffic where they could exchange LOTS more.
So, you'd find a whole lot of Indian traceroutes, even between two
local ISPs, go out through Singapore (or possibly Reach / NTT now, in
some cases), and/or PAIX

Having three anycast instances in a country is no damned use when the
nearest roots, network wise, are elsewhere.  If traffic stats from
those things are available, and are studied, I am reasonably sure we'd
get some interesting results.

But for now, having X number of anycast roots in the country is only
scoring brownie points in the i-governance debate.

--srs

Reasons include -

* don't have good people with bgp clue, only "senior network admins"
who ask Philip Smith what a route map is, in an advanced bgp tutorial
at a recent SANOG...

* don't trust each other too much at all, and fear that peering means
that people can rip them off by using those links for transit as well

* have a network that's a mess of botched mpls and other
implementations, all held together by a bunch of static routes
upstream

* or in some cases have, besides their usual IP space, a huge lot of
deaggregated IP blocks that are a legacy from when they had a whole
lot of leased lines purchased from the then incumbent + sole upstream
VSNL ..