nanog mailing list archives

Re: {f,i,k}.root-servers.net anycast instances deployed in India

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 21:32:20 +0530

thanks

the minister's parents, or the clerk who filled in his birth
certificate made a mistake .. i do think his surname is actually
"moron" and not "maran"

srs

On 26/08/05, Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com> wrote:
... at three NIXI (www.nixi.org - the indian IXP) POPs - Delhi, Bombay
and Madras.

About time too.

There's a fourth metro in India - Calcutta, which is the capital of a
state that has one of two democratically elected communist governments
in the world, by the way - the other being the Indian state of Kerala.

[and the party in power in Calcutta is also part of the ruling
coalition in the Indian government].

Now for comments in that admirable institution, the Indian press.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1211092.cms

Two things -

The move will help bring down the cost of accessing Internet in
India, where the clone root servers have been set up in Delhi, Mumbai
and Chennai. "Normally, other countries get to host only two such
services, but we fought hard and got three," said communications and
IT minister Dayanidhi Maran.

Maran seems to think this is as big an achievement as a kid throwing a
tantrum to get three chocolate bars instead of two, which it is not ..

and, from a post on another mailing list that I read -

Mr. Paul Wilson, Director General APNIC and Mr. Axel Pawlik, Managing
Director - RIPE will be in Delhi between 25-26 August 2005 in connection
with Integration of Internet Root Servers in India.

Ah.  Calcutta left out of the race, and those dreaded foreign
imperialist powers are behind it all.

I confidently expect our friendly comrades in Calcutta will feel duty
bound to call for a general strike (something they were proverbial for
doing at the drop of a hat, till quite recently ...)