nanog mailing list archives

Re: India cites security concerns, blocks Huawei bid to expand their indian ops

From: Jim Popovitch <jimpop () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:14:15 -0400

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 17:55 -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:
I assume that an Indian intelligence agency would
be more concerned about things like hidden remote
control or data collection services on the systems.

Exactly. The Chinese version of Cisco's CALEA code with different access
methods would be pretty threatening in general. Not saying that they
have one, did one, or will... but its a security risk even before you
show intent on the part of Huawei. Maybe the Indian gov't is going to
request the source to Huawei's code? I remember Germany or Russia
requesting it of Microsoft for Windows and Microsoft complied.

Requesting the source code and/or having access to it is really
meaningless unless you have the skill and capabilities to compile it
*and* use it.  There is no sure way to know that the source code in your
left hand is what was used to compile the binary in your right hand.

-Jim P.