nanog mailing list archives

RE: India cites security concerns, blocks Huawei bid to expand their indian ops

From: "Neil J. McRae" <neil () DOMINO ORG>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:05:07 +0100

* Suresh Ramasubramanian:

For the second time in the last five years, Indian security
agencies
have moved to slow Huawei's expansion plans out of concern
for India's
strategic telecom network.

For a contrast, consider the situation in Germany.  Beginning
this year, Germany's largest research network DFN will run on
Huawei technology.  Not many security concerns over here, apparently.

A large number of optical networks across the globe are now Huawei,
we are using their IP CPE (17xx/26xx/36xx/72xx replacements) in a number
of products and these devices have stood up to significant security
testing [including DDOS]. We have also type approved their Long Distance
Optical platforms and DSLAMS and they work and work well. Also tested
some ZTE equipment and it works well also. I hoping that Huawei do
more in storage.

Regards,
Neil.