nanog mailing list archives

RE: Port 25 - Blacklash

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:27:07 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
Adam Jacob Muller
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 2:18 PM
To: Eric Gauthier
Subject: Re: Port 25 - Blacklash

The fact that most people did not complain is not likely due to the
fact that they were not annoyed by the change, but rather
it's easier
to simply get around it than it is to bother complaining to network
admins.

For example, about 2 months ago, comcast decided to block outgoing
port 25 from my entire neighborhood. I called comcast, and while
sitting on hold I had the idea to setup a ssh tunnel to a machine at
work and viola problem solved before anyone from comcast even
answered the phone.

And comcast will happily allow this to be your
employers problem i.e. owned, infected, or spamming.

Paul was asking about ILG's and the political
backlash of blocking off-campus port 25 where the
ILG is using an ISP other than their school.

(thanks SD, EG, MG, DD)

-M<