nanog mailing list archives

Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:48:11 -0700

When I sign up for an internet account, does the fine print say that I am
to accept all garbage pouring out of the RJ-45...? Why should it be the
recipients job to filter all incoming traffic?

No... You should, for an appropriate fee, be able to find an ISP that will
filter whatever you request them to filter.  My point is that I oppose
filtration by default.

When my PC grabs an IP address, I'd expect to see zero traffic from the
world unless I make a request for content. Only then should I see traffic
and only the content I requested.

So, when you take a ride on the subway, you expect not to be exposed to
any random germs floating about in the atmosphere?  You live in a very
interesting world.

Owen