nanog mailing list archives

Re: The worst abuse e-mail ever, sverige.net

From: Lars-Johan Liman <liman () autonomica se>
Date: 23 Sep 2004 15:13:59 +0200

hackerwacker () cybermesa com:
The solution I am working toward is quickly identifying user
infections.  We are almost there. I collect and record all traffic

Umm ... you mean you wire-tap all "my" email messages? (Anyone
still wonders why I don't trust my ISP?)

I wonder if my Teclo listens in on all my telephone conversations
too? And the post office! My letters?

(Oops, sorry, shouldn't make analogies. ;-)

from the users going to dark space

Umm ... please define "dark space".

and am almost finished with the system that will identify who held
that IP at a specific time. It is all in SQL so that is easy.

Mmm. User privacy in its glory?

niceman () att net:
Our system is similar, except we block port 25 completely via RADIUS
after we detect an outgoing virus or spam,

Detect how?

then notify the customer.  This eliminates the ACL's on the border
routers.  The user can still surf freely to download patches while
not causing further damage.  Some users just don't want to be
bothered and just use webmail to send E-mail and keep the block
forever.

This latter part is OK. It opens up a way out for those who want to,
and a different service for those who don't.

                                Cheers,
                                  /Liman