nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 making it work, solving problems

From: JP Velders <jpv () veldersjes net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:33:29 +0200 (CEST)

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:36:18 +0000
From: Paul Vixie <paul () vix com>
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: BCP38 making it work, solving problems

[ ... ]
As it was "in the old days": first clean up your own act and then
start pointing at others that they're doing "it" wrong.

It's a mentality I see very rarely amongst the larger ISP's who've
been part of that 'I' in their name since the very early beginning.

i found out from verisign that big companies call something
"innovation" if it hasn't been generally done before and if it
immediately increases revenue.

failing the "immediately increases revenue" part, no big company
will do anything that hasn't been generally done before.

<aol>
And continuing on that road would lead to innovation, how ?
</aol>

[ ... ]
i'm pretty depressed at the lack of self regulation among the techiefolk.

Techiefolk are 'commodity' nowadays.
The ones that do care are vastly outnumbered.
(which doesn't mean they should stop caring!)

or "but my equipment can't do wire speed SAV" or "but BCP38 will not solve
all DDoS problems single-handedly" are small minded, provincial, and wrong.
... it's just "but if man was meant to fly he'd have wings" all over again.

Thinking outside of the box or about "The Greater Good" is something
of a quaint idea nowadays :( Think I'll go dust off my wings... ;D

Regards,
JP Velders