nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 making it work, solving problems

From: JP Velders <jpv () veldersjes net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:11:53 +0200 (CEST)

Date: 12 Oct 2004 16:22:17 +0000
From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: BCP38 making it work, solving problems

[ ... ]
how are we going to get there?  the first thing is, some nets who want the
internet to work this way have to implement BCP38 in their own corner of the
internet.  then they have to start de-peering with nets who don't do it, and
offer a better rate to customers who do it than to those who don't.  then
they have to de-peer with anyone who doesn't require their peers and customers
to do it.  then they have to refuse as customers anyone who won't do it.
[ ... ]

As it was "in the old days": first clean up your own act and then
start pointing at others that they're doing "it" wrong.

It's a mentality I see very rarely amongst the larger ISP's who've
been part of that 'I' in their name since the very early beginning.

Regards,
JP Velders