nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sensible geographical addressing

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:30:32 -0800 (PST)

--- Peter Corlett <abuse () cabal org uk> wrote:

David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com> wrote:
[...]
What exactly would be so bad about taking a page
from the PSTN and
using a country-code-like system? There are under
200 countries on
the whole planet, so that's not a huge number of
bits...

Not that this avoids renumbering, as countries do
occasionally split
or merge. Sometimes there's also address space
exhaustion within a
country and renumbering is required.

(I am reminded of a Londoner whining about "loads"
of number changes
since 1990. In fact, there have been just three: 01
-> 071/081 ->
0171/0181 -> 020.)

But if the "country ID" bits were always in a defined
place, the pain of renumbering due to country
merge/split could be mitigated.  In any case,
countries don't split or merge THAT much.

=====
David Barak
-fully RFC 1925 compliant-