nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sensible geographical addressing

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:57:58 -0800 (PST)

--- Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:
10 years ago we didn't have the RIR system in
place to help us with geographic addressing. Today
we do. Now you might be able to convince me that
we could achieve similar goals by putting together
route registries, RIRs and some magic pixie dust.
As far as I'm concerned, geographical route
aggregation
is necessary for the v6 network to scale. It will
happen, the only question is how we solve the
problem.

What exactly would be so bad about taking a page from
the PSTN and using a country-code-like system?  There
are under 200 countries on the whole planet, so that's
not a huge number of bits...

=====
David Barak
-fully RFC 1925 compliant-