nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI

From: Nils Ketelsen <nils.ketelsen () kuehne-nagel com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:30:10 -0500

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 06:25:52PM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

While IPv6 is still IP, it's not just IPv4 with bigger addresses. We
have 128 bits, so we should make good use of them. One way to do this
is to make all subnets and 99% of end-user assignements the same size.
Yes, this wastes bits, but the bits are there anyway so not wasting
them really doesn't buy you anything at this point. The advantage of

I believe this is exactly the thinking that produced the
completely pointless /8 and /16 Assignments in IPv4. That is a real waste.

All I hear is how this company or that enterprise "should qualify" for
PI space. What I don't hear is what's going to happen when the routing
tables grow too large, or how to prevent this. I think just about

I said it before and I'll say it again: I believe it is easier
to build routers that can handle bigger routing tables than it is to
tell large companies to make their IP-Addresses Provider dependent.

Or Universities for that matter. Or research facilities. etc.

Nils