nanog mailing list archives

Re: EFF whitepaper

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:02:17 -0800

On 11/16/04, Fred Heutte <aoxomoxoa () sunlightdata com> wrote:

I doubt that the participants in this discussion who are getting
so huffy about the EFF position are ready to tolerate a
situation where unknown third parties can arbitrarily block
any email they send or receive, without informing them,
regardless of content.

Think about how that maps to the present situation.

        I can certainly understand how end users or senders would feel
        that way, and many ISP's need to start doing a much better job
        of communicating their policies to their customers -- that's
        certainly not restricted to e-mail.  However, using the EFF's
        hard-won and extremely critical influence to restrict an ISP's
        ability to manage their own systems doesn't seem like a good
        long-term solution to that problem.

--
J.D. Falk                                                   okay, what's next?
<jdfalk () cybernothing org>