nanog mailing list archives

Re: How to Blocking VoIP ( H.323) ?

From: Robert Mathews <mathews () hawaii edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:36:51 -1000 (HST)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Alexei Roudnev wrote:

If someone want to be insane -  allow him to do it; what's the problem? Is
this question coming from Panamian government? -:)

when you have to comply with some insane gov't ruling at penalty of
legal (possibly felony type actions) you will also squeal like the virtual
pig...

This is internet - if I have 10 Mbit connection and 100msec latency, I can
use it for Voice, no way to block me; if it is 19200bits/second and 2 second
latency, I can not. That's all. Other methods can provide temporary reliefe
only.

true, this was the arguement put forth to the folks at the time, they
still insisted on their backwards, telco-minded thinking... Fortunately
after a few months they saw the light and removed the requirement.

Joe might not be that lucky, or he might be able to show precedent to
others about why it's bad to try to block the voip.

Chris:

Kindly permit me to make one brief related comment regarding your
observations.

Broadly, whether it is social/economic/governmental policy **INSERT your
favourite mandate here** [CALEA and such, to content censoring] that
require carriers/providers to make operational adjustments, a catalogue
of the ramifications, and in the large - the economic/performance impact
[among other effects] on services and subscribers does deserve greater
perlustration.

Best,
Robert.
-------