nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?

From: Nils Ketelsen <nils.ketelsen () kuehne-nagel com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:43:59 -0500

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 01:44:50AM +0100, Daniel Roesen wrote:

And yes, I think all the workstations WILL need to do DHCP and not
use stateless autoconfig. Workstations are being managed by IT
departments, and they do want to be able to SSH to them all and have
DNS forward/reverse mapping.

Ohh, Autoconfig (with the MAC-Address in the host bits) actually makes
it easier for me to log into a workstation.

I just keep 2 lists:

1) all prefixes in my network
2) all Macaddresses in use.

Now I can loop through all prefixes and try to ping the macaddress I want
to reach (with the occasional fffe in the middle).

Hoping that the MAC is really unique (we do not use 3com cards
anymore) I can actually find a specific Laptop on my network
easy without even knowing where the user is.

I can see NOTHING in IPv6 which makes real world networks any easier
to renumber than IPv4 networks ASIDE the fact that if /48 addressing
is used, renumbering becomes a search-and-replace thing for large
parts of it.

I agree to that, though.

Stateless autoconfig doesn't really provide any added value for ad-hoc
mobile clients than DHCP does in v4 - au contraire, as all the other
information a DHCP server might offer is not provided with stateless
autoconfig.

Knowing what the host-part of the IP-Address will be for the a
specific device is an advantage I believe.

Nils